Friends and Family,
I'm sorry that I was not able to post something about yesterday. The normal time that I write my posts was taken up yesterday because my roommates and I decided to go to Malibu for beach time and dinner. We had a great time! I read a few pages while laying on the beach and had some good conversations. We had dinner at a place called Dukes, which I guess is a pretty famous place. The food was amazing, but very expensive. One of our roommates was treating us to the meal. Everybody got seafood except for me. I had Chinese-style beef short ribs. It was amazing! When I got back I talked to Ian, watched some of the videos that were on my Special Needs Smart Pages DVD, read 1 Samuel 5, and went to bed.
God has been doing a tremendous work in my heart for disability ministry. I have been racking my brain with ideas about what I can do in my church to involve people with disabilities. It is a little bit different than starting a disability ministry in a typical church because mine is a house church. We have one room and one group. These are some of the ideas that I have come up with:
1) Partnering with Community Presbyterian Church of La Mirada to put on an event once every month or two for adults with intellectual and developmental disabilities.
2)Partnering with Community Presbyterian Church of La Mirada to put on an event once every month or two for children with disabilities to provide a respite for the parents.
3) Creating a separate house church for adults with developmental disabilities to come to learn at their own level.
4) Creating a house church for families of children with disabilities to come while a group of volunteers minister to their children in a separate room.
5) Put together "Special Deliveries" to bring to hospitals or institutions in order to develop relationships and minister to them.
There are a lot of good resources here at Joni and Friends in order to start this up. I feel that God is seriously calling me to do something about this in my own church. I am planning to get ahold of some bible study materials that is meant to educate people on disabilities and how to minister to them. I am so excited for what God is doing and I hope that everything will be accepted well in my church. Please pray that they will accept this idea with open arms because it is desperately needed in our societies churches.
Also, I am uploading all of my photos onto my online photo album. You can see the album here. The reason why I can't post them here anymore is because it takes too long to upload them to this website and it drains my battery during class. Also, please continue to pray for next week as I will be coming alongside a family with disability to serve them and to develop relationships with them. I want to thank everyone again for providing this experience for me. I really feel that I am being changed.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Baby! I'm so happy that God has put this on your heart! I love you, and I love the heart that he's given to your for disability ministry! Keep up all the great work!
ReplyDelete