Hey everybody! I hope you are all enjoying my updates! Last night after I wrote my blog I went back to the dorm, talked to Ian for a little while, read the first chapter of Joni's book How to be a Christian in a Brave New World, and read my Bible. I slept pretty well but I need to get used to my bed because I think that I almost fell off! I felt sorry for my neighbor because I accidentally hit the wall a few times during the night!
This morning I woke up at 6:45 AM in order to get ready and be picked up at 8:00 AM by the van. We had a quick breakfast and started class at 9:00 AM. Module one was an overview of disability. A man named Michael J. Hoggatt came and spoke about some basic information about disabiility, such as the different kinds of disability, assumptions about disability, social constructs, the churches role, and the history of disability. The part that stuck out to me the most was the part of about the history of disability. I was shocked when we saw a video about an institution called Willowbrook during the 1970s. The residents were majorly mistreated and it was heartbreaking to watch the video that portrayed this.
After Michael spoke James Rene came up and told us about some of Joni and Friend's global ministries.
Overall it was a tough day to get through because the class lasted from 9AM- 4PM. We had 3 breaks, including a lunch break. Tonight I plan to go back and do some more reading, talking to Ian, hanging out with my roommates, and hopefully having some fun. It'll be an intense week!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment